Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Kenduri Doa Selamat + 19th Birthday Celebration


I just recovered from fever. I guess I didn't have enough rest and sleep for a few days before and after the kenduri which was held at my house. This is normal though, whenever people organize events in their houses be it birthday parties, open houses, or kenduri (a kind of religious feast). 


July 31, 2010
The purposes of organizing this kenduri on last Saturday (July 31) night were to :
                          1. pray for my safety in pursuing my studies in USA
                          2. pray for sister who'll sitting for SPM this year
                          3. tahlil (pray for dead people) for relatives
                          4. my 19th birthday (my birthday is on August 1)


Lots of people came to the event. There're 2 slots. The first slot which was before Maghrib prayer was for my relatives. The second slot which was after the Isyak prayer was for my neighbors and friends. However, some of my relatives stayed back until 11p.m. My birthday celebration was held at around 10.30 p.m. To my surprise, my cousin (Kak Ika from my mom's side) baked a chocolate cake for me. As from my family, it was chocolate cheese cake (my favorite cake from Secret Recipe). As a token of appreciation to my friends and neighbors who came, I gave them a goodie bag each which contained a muffin (I made by myself), jellies, and a small snack. 


chocolate cake made by Kak Ika
Secret Recipe's chocolate cheese cake
blow out the candles
There're varieties of food on that night. My dad cooked a very healthy vegetable soup (mushrooms + labu air (I don't know what's that in English) and made his famous tapai pulut (fermented glutinous rice); my mom made mango salad,sambal belacan (blended chillies with prawn paste), and ulam segar (fresh herbal vegetables); my mom's friend cooked ayam masak lemak cili padi (chicken cooked with coconut milk and blended chillies, turmeric, etc),  very famous Malay food originated from Negeri Sembilan; one of my aunties cooked udang masak sambal petai (prawns cooked in blended chillies), specially requested by me because I like it; another aunt keladi masak asam pedas (yam cooked with blended chillies and tamarind), very famous Malay food originated from Malacca; other aunties brought Malay traditional desserts like tepung pelita, seri muka, apam, and lepat. As for me, I baked muffins. However, there were only 60 muffins that I managed to bake due to time constrain. Some of the muffins were a bit overcooked on the top, but the bottom is still good. Somehow, people liked my muffins. My neighbors, relatives and friends said my muffins were marvelous. A neighbor and one of my aunties even asked me for the recipe to bake those muffins. Not bad, my muffins...hehe  



August 1, 2010
My 19th birthday ! Well, when I woke up, I felt very sleepy and tired. The whole body ached.  There're hundreds of messages from Facebook and my handphone. What else could it be ? Birthday wishes of course. I took quite some time to reply to those all. 
In the afternoon, my family and I went to Muar to visit my sister in her boarding school, MRSM Muar. She couldn't go back home for the event that was held last night. Even though all of us were still tired from last night, we still went to see my sister. We had our lunch there, and accompanied her for shopping. She also asked me to help her in preparing for her mock interview tomorrow. Mock interview for scholarship application.
On the way back to Serdang, there was a traffic jam on the North-South Highway on the lanes to Kuala Lumpur. We reached home quite late, around 9 p.m. When I checked my Facebook account, again there're hundreds of birthday wishes on my wall. Actually, some people even wished me on July 31 or August 2. Anyway, thanks to all the wishes. It was a great day to remember. My last birthday as a TEENager. Next year, there's no more TEEN on my age.